Braintree High Student Press

The Student News Site of Braintree High School

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree

• 2 PM
    67 °
  • 3 PM
    68 °
  • 4 PM
    68 °
  • 5 PM
    66 °
  • 6 PM
    65 °
  • 7 PM
    63 °
  • 8 PM
    62 °
  • 9 PM
    61 °
  • 10 PM
    60 °
  • 11 PM
    58 °
  • 12 AM
    57 °
  • 1 AM
    56 °
  • 2 AM
    56 °
  • 3 AM
    55 °
  • 4 AM
    54 °
  • 5 AM
    54 °
  • 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    55 °
  • 8 AM
    57 °
  • 9 AM
    58 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    60 °
  • 12 PM
    61 °
  • 1 PM
    62 °
  • 2 PM
    64 °
May 6
69°/ 48°
Moderate rain
May 7
69°/ 52°
Sunny
May 8
60°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby

Reinforced Phone Policy: an inside look

Student puts his cell phone in his assigned number at the beginning of class; as this is the new phone policy.
A student is using her cell phone during one of the acceptable times of the day; in this case, study hall.

Braintree High School is back! Students and staff have regained comfort in routine as we complete our second full week of school. However, one thing has changed inside the walls of BHS since the return of education: the phone policy. Well, it is not a change; it is an adjustment in enforcement. There is now one universal tactic for dealing with the distraction of cell phones in classrooms for teachers.

Many factors were accounted for as faculty began banging the gavel on phones early this year. When speaking with the assistant principal, Mr. Riordan, as authority, “we listened to the concerns that teachers had regarding phones”, which was then made an area of focus for the coming school year. In addition to concerns coming from BHS staff, Dr. Scully, principal, mentioned that the Massachusetts DESE held its own hearings in the spring about phone policies. Currently, the DESE is encouraging all school districts to enforce phone policies that will limit the usage of cell phones during instructional time throughout the day, as they are not ready to implement a statewide policy yet.

Due to the state trying to tighten up phone policies and make education more of a priority, the state offered money grants to school districts to help combat the phones. Braintree applied for these grants, and Braintree High School as well as South Middle School received them. BHS took this money and used it to cover the costs of installing blue cell phone holders in each classroom. In addition to money being put towards the cost of installation, any future Tier 2 solutions, as well as professional development days focused on these cell phone holders.

One leader in these professional development days was Mr. Groleau, a math teacher, as he has already been enforcing this policy for as long as he has been inside the walls of BHS. When speaking with Mr.Groleau, he claims that during his seven years of practice, he has never had an issue with the phones inside his classroom. For him, he actually found that his students were more engaged in the lessons. Mr.Groleau used the cellphones as an incentive for doing your work and finishing early, because then you could go and get your phone. Mr.Groleau was not the only teacher who had previously been enforcing this practice, as there were about a handful of other teachers who were finding their own success with this routine: however, Mr. Groleau was the face of the movement. It could be said that Mr.Groleau is a pillar in this operation, as many teachers who were new to this have leaned on him when they had questions or concerns. Guidance was needed with simple things such as just asking how the process of the holders was, how he would assign the numbered holders, and just any challenges he has faced over his time of usage.

As of now, the staff seems to see positive feedback in this change. The number of issues seems to be down; fewer kids are roaming the hallways, and their time in the hallway has lessened. Hallways were also part of the concern from staff; this is why leaving your phone behind in class is a must. 

Simply put, the staff is happy with the adjustment as of now; it seems to be working. They do know they will not be able to make everyone happy, but this seems to be the best option as of now. Mr.Riordon said that the staff will meet again in about nineteen weeks and make proper adjustments if needed. So until then, this is the new reinforcement in Braintree High School’s phone policy.