Braintree athletes all begin their race at the meet against Weymouth on April 30.
Summer Lamont

Boys Track Outruns Weymouth

“We’re gonna win today, I know it, I got a feeling,” exclaimed junior Tony Gryciuk.

Braintree Boys track hosted Weymouth on Wednesday, May 1st. Throughout the meet, the track athletes fought to beat rival Weymouth. 

“It’s looking like it’s going to be a close meet,” said senior Captain Nate Flaherty. The final score was in fact not even close, as the boys brought home the win with a score of 93-43. There were many top finishes from the boys team to help bring home the win. 

“We are going good today, like really really good,” explained Tony Gryciuk. In running events, the boys had twelve 1st place finishes: junior HaiXiang Lyu in the 100 meter, sophomore Noah Noun in the 400 meter, Tony Gryciuk in the 800 meter, Nate Flaherty in the mile, and junior Ryan McGinty in the 2 mile. The runners also placed 1st in the 4×100 meter relay. The athletes in that race were HaiXiang Lyu, junior James Curry, senior Mano Bonhomme, and junior Chris Carey. Noah, Nate, Anthony, and junior Liam O’Driscoll also came in first in the 4×400 meter relay. 

In the field events there were some more first place finishes: junior Captain Kevin Dang in the shotput, senior Mike Kennedy in the javelin, Mano in the long jump, Mike Kennedy in the triple jump, and sophomore Brendan McGeough in the high jump. 

Junior Cam Currier explained, “I feel like my teammataes are doing well tonight, they’re working very hard, and they’re showing a lot of great effort.” The boys also had eight second place finishes, and 10 third place finishes. In the 100m, Mano came in second; in the 110m hurdles, sophomore Bryce Jacobs finished third. In the 200m, Chris Carey got second and junior Zachary Fernandes got third. Liam O’Driscoll finished second and sophomore Mason LaPierre in third in the 400 meter. In the 400m hurdles, Brendan McGeough placed second, and Sean Dowd placed third in the 800m. 

For the field events, junior Gavin Fitzgerald placed second and senior Sean O’Malley placed third in the javelin. Junior Sean Masse placed second in the discus and placed third in the shotput, while sophomore AJ Baptiste placed third in the discus. In the long jump, sophomore Declan Walsh placed third, and in the triple jump, Zachary Fernandes placed third. Finally, in high jump the boys took home not only first, but second thanks to sophomore Hugo Truong. 

Braintree Boys track continously shows their athleticism as they put on a show for their fans every meet. The boys travel to Walpole this Wednesday, 5/8, to compete for yet another win this season. Good luck to the team as they attempt to get their next win!