Braintree High Student Press

The Student News Site of Braintree High School

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree

• 2 AM
    52 °
  • 3 AM
    52 °
  • 4 AM
    52 °
  • 5 AM
    52 °
  • 6 AM
    52 °
  • 7 AM
    51 °
  • 8 AM
    51 °
  • 9 AM
    52 °
  • 10 AM
    52 °
  • 11 AM
    52 °
  • 12 PM
    52 °
  • 1 PM
    52 °
  • 2 PM
    52 °
  • 3 PM
    52 °
  • 4 PM
    52 °
  • 5 PM
    52 °
  • 6 PM
    52 °
  • 7 PM
    52 °
  • 8 PM
    52 °
  • 9 PM
    52 °
  • 10 PM
    52 °
  • 11 PM
    52 °
  • 12 AM
    52 °
  • 1 AM
    52 °
  • 2 AM
    51 °
May 18
54°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
May 19
55°/ 50°
Patchy rain nearby
May 20
62°/ 50°
Partly Cloudy

Upper Classic?

Many junior and senior girls are upset at the rule and name change for the annual flag football game. The student body has expressed their frustration with the name change of “Powder Puff” into “Upper Classic.” This has been enforced by the BHS administration this year. A large majority of the student body believe that this is “not necessary” and “dumb.” Many people have communicated their disagreement with this name change by not even taking to the field this year. When talking to a few senior girls about their excitement level for this year’s upcoming game, the girls expressed that it is not the same as last year and that most of them did not even sign up for it. Students aren’t taking into consideration why administration replaced the name.

Becoming upperclassmen is exciting. We have a great amount of things that we get to look forward to, powderpuff being one of them. The powderpuff name is loved here at BHS, and will most likely continue to be used, no matter who says what. Schools all over the US have begun to abolish this American tradition and I feel as though we should be grateful that we are being allowed to keep this tradition alive.

The student body is making administrations’ decision of a name change a bigger deal than it needs to be. I understand that the traditional name might have a special place in our hearts at BHS but by looking at the origin of “Powderpuff” itself, it is found demeaning and degrading to women. Powderpuff was created in the 1940s for young women to play a game of football, purely for entertainment but not positively, just for people to make fun of girls “ trying” to play a more “masculine” sport. 

Girls work just as hard at sports as boys do. Senior field hockey Captain, Claire Joyce, had a fingernail ripped off, and also fractured her pinky, leaving a bloody mess. Claire took some time to get better, but still showed up every game and every practice. Claire was itching to get back on the field and came back better and stronger than ever. She is just one of the many female athletes who showed her determination and passion for her game. We are playing the same, violent sports men play, practicing the same exhausting drills and showing the same determination and drive. Behind all the blood, sweat, and tears, there’s no room for any powderpuffs.

Upper Classic might not have the smooth alliteration that powderpuff gets but it is just a name change. I would not think that this minor thing actually affects anyone. With the action of this name change, I hope that it is beneficial to the people that take offense to the original, “Powderpuff” name. Given this opportunity of a name change, let’s give the annual flag football game an inclusive meaning for everyone. Wednesday, November 8th, Seniors vs. Juniors, 6:00pm. Who’s taking home the W? My money is on the Class of 2025.

View Comments (1)