Braintree High Student Press

The Student News Site of Braintree High School

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree High Student Press

Braintree

• 4 AM
    64 °
  • 5 AM
    63 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    68 °
  • 8 AM
    71 °
  • 9 AM
    74 °
  • 10 AM
    76 °
  • 11 AM
    78 °
  • 12 PM
    79 °
  • 1 PM
    80 °
  • 2 PM
    80 °
  • 3 PM
    80 °
  • 4 PM
    79 °
  • 5 PM
    78 °
  • 6 PM
    76 °
  • 7 PM
    74 °
  • 8 PM
    71 °
  • 9 PM
    69 °
  • 10 PM
    68 °
  • 11 PM
    67 °
  • 12 AM
    66 °
  • 1 AM
    65 °
  • 2 AM
    64 °
  • 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    63 °
July 27
81°/ 63°
Sunny
July 28
79°/ 62°
Sunny
July 29
74°/ 63°
Patchy rain nearby

Scrimmages Set High Expectations for Boys Hockey This Season

Puck+drop+towards+the+end+of+power+play+in+the+third+period.+
Puck drop towards the end of power play in the third period.

Hockey season is finally upon us at Braintree High School and the official start to the season is home this Wednesday, against Newton North. In preparation, the boys team has played in three scrimmages this past week. The team was able to pull out big wins against Barnstable and Duxbury, but for BC High, the win was a close one. 

On Friday, December 8th, Braintree Boys Hockey versed BC High at home at Zapustas Ice Arena. with the final score of 2 – 1, Braintree. 

The Wamps started off strong in the first period, with Andrew Gaffney scoring on a 1 vs. 2 breakaway. The Wamps then held the 1-0 lead up until about 5 minutes left in the second period, when #23 from BC High scored with a backhand shot between Braintree goalie Amir Cullinane’s legs.

Both teams grinded to get opportunities in the last period. This included an exciting 4 vs. 4 with 3 minutes left. However, with 49 seconds left in the game, junior forward, Sean Canavan, scored with a quick wrap around BC High’s net, winning the game. BC High called a time out and pulled their goalie, but Braintree was able to hold the score, making this game a well-earned win. 

Although the season is just starting, the school is not the only one who expects a lot from the team. 

Senior captain Sean O’Rourke says, “We know the program. We know what to do. We know what our game plan is.”

Competing against mostly private programs, the team works hard everyday to give a fight to these strong D1 schools. 

Other senior captain Jake Joyce adds, “We’re the only public school team to make it to the Elite 8 back to back years and that’s no mistake.”